Tuesday 18 February 2014

Politics, parties, plants and planning.

A very happy and belated New Year to everyone!

As a part of my NY obligations I have promised myself to actually dedicate some time to write and continue the blog after lots of lovely feedback that people actually missed reading it - which is always lovely to hear.

I am aiming for once a week - unless I have anything particularly exciting to report! If this doesn't happen - feel free to poke, wink, kick me or whatever it is you do these days.

So. I guess the title of the post says it all for me at the moment.

As you may or may not be aware of, my current role is particularly relevant in the Australian political space at the moment - working with asylum seekers and refugees.

So this first P is the Politics.

There was breaking news this week about a 'violent riot' on Manus Island (an offshore detention centre in Papua New Guinea of which Australia is responsible for - in theory) of which asylum seekers - seeking asylum in Australia - were responsible for starting.

The day after I spent the day editing voicemail audio clips from 2 asylum seekers calling directly from Manus Island to tell the organisation that the local PNG people broke into the detention centre with machetes and started attacking the asylum seekers.

Why you may ask?

Because just like Australia, PNG doesn't want them either. Except Australia has dumped all their responsibility and tax-payer dollars onto PNG.

Yesterday was a particularly sad day at work due to the then breaking news that 77 people had been seriously injured and 1 person actually died whilst seeking Australian protection.

Hearing the truth and information directly from the ground is particularly saddening as despite the truth being spoken by people on the island, the government has scared even the most Left-wing media into keeping neutral and not exposing the truth. Hello ABC.

So whilst as a nation we might complain that our cafe latte was supposed to be a flat white or that the pubic transport situation is dire - we must remember that at least we have the freedom to experience these 'atrocities'.

Anyway, work rant over.

The next P is more fun. Parties!

This is more in reference to organising my Hen's party with my 7 amazing bridesmaids and 1 amazing groomslady!

So - just quietly - I am quite excited. Not because I want to wear penis paraphernalia, drink shots from a necklace and pass out on a beach Ibiza style - but because it is a great opportunity to spend a few days with some of the most fabulous women on the planet.

Being so far away from most of you is not easy at the best of times - and definitely not whilst planning a wedding (Gave away the last P!). But I know that you will all pull together to 'send me off in style' or whatever that really means anyways.

It means a lot to me that anyone would even put the effort in to help us get all of this off the ground - let alone the enthusiasm and grace that has been put into sourcing all sorts of quality information.

On a completely separate and 3rd P - Plants.

This may surprise everyone that reads this that might know me fairly well - I am now a Green Thumb.

Not only of my own labelling but fully endorsed by the future Mr Murphy. (Jokes - he wouldn't change it!)

I am pleased to announce that I am now the proud grower of:

- Chilli's
- Gardenias
- Marigolds (from the seed - oh yeah!)
- Jasmine
- Variety of succulents (in case all the others actually die)
- Mint
- Basil
- Spinach (possibly on the deathbed)
- Coriander (def on the deathbed but hoping for a resurrection)

So as you can see around 85% of current growth is probably nor dying or dead.

And the jasmine plant pleases me greatly as this is the scent of Asia where my love and I fell in love. Ain't that cute.

I can keep you regularly updated on this progress as this could change.

Final P - you guessed it - Planning.

So, yes, The English Rose is getting married. Abroad. Or quite abroad from where she currently resides anyway.

Now we are in the swing of 2014 - so is the planning.

We have got the major things locked in which is good, still need to lock in some entertainment, decor, bridal party outfits, rings, food, drinks, music etc etc.

Apparently there are a lot of elements to a wedding.
But I think I had my 'bridezilla' stressy moments last year when we went back to visit the family and start the planning.

I have since calmed down and 'let go' a bit more as I have realised that planning from the other side of the world can be tricky. But having amazing family and friends back at home makes it a whole world easier.

So today I read through our ceremony details and options - which is actually quite a defining moment. The ceremony is an aspect that is often forgotten or overshadowed by all the frills and stuff you can have to make your wedding day even more special.

Reading the options and the words that we will actually say to each other is quite eye opening. It makes you imagine the moment that you say these vows to each other and makes it feel more real. It also brings a smile to your face when you imagine saying and hearing these words.

More importance needs to be emphasised on the ceremony as this is the defining moment where you become united and the legal recognition of the vows taken.

As I think about the year ahead it is an extremely exciting time. The year will go quickly, as every one does, but this year shall mark the end of an era and the beginning of a new chapter - being a wife and becoming Mrs Currie.

I hope to enjoy every minute of it and not take it for granted.

Well I hope I have satisfied my hungry readers for now.

More on life in Melbourne, plant updates and hopefully less of the politics.

I shall leave you all with a few more P's in my life right now.

Muchos love as ever xoxox

Placebo, Parma, Parsnip Crisps, Papercut and Possums.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there!

Thanks for getting in touch with The English Rose - she'll aim to get back to you shortly!

Have a lovely day.